Thursday, November 25, 2010

Welcome to Cancún!

¡HOLA! Happy Thanksgiving!

I arrived in Cancún last night. Yesterday I spoke about climate change with my airplane seatmate from Pakistan. He told me that he is skeptical about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), but expressed support for the youth at the UN climate change conference. He asked me many questions about what the Girl Scouts are doing at COP16, and it was great to hear his satisfaction with his son's preschool environmental curriculum.

While waiting for the bus to downtown, I met a couple from Brooklyn who were surprised to learn that a climate change conference was happening in Cancún. After taking the bus to the hostel, it was wonderful to meet Miriam and Katie, two WAGGGS colleagues!

Katie, Miriam, and I looked in some shops today on our walk to buy cell phone sim cards. It has been fun meeting new WAGGGS delegates this afternoon, and we are all busy getting ready for the Conference of Youth (COY) that begins tomorrow. We officially begin our WAGGGS training this evening! The 16th Conference of Parties (COP16) begins on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment